Friday 12 March 2010

And so the sun sets...

Now, I must admit that I have slightly been slacking on blog posts here over the past three weeks, but have pretty much been working non-stop with not much free time. But here it is, the updates from the pas three weeks, right here over the next few blog posts. First off there's continuing and finishing the Design Bible for my pre-production project, starting to work on the 3rd years' major projects and of course there's a bit of writing splashed in there with the production of a few essays and a dissertation proposal due in. To start with I'll go over the work that has become my Design Bible.

Characters

For the final pages in my Design Bible I had to produce pages exploring the two main characters movement (the Doctor and Rose) and produce final turnaround sheets, and a final colour image as to how they would look in an animation. I think my most successful and well-designed character is Rose and I think I have developed her character well as I subconsciously designed her as the main protagonist which I do feel that the Doctors companion is, for the Doctor wouldn't be able to achieve what he does without them. I especially liked the thought process behind the design of her character and the others as well, at how their faces were going to look and changing body proportions to come up with something new, and how the hairstyle affects the initial thought of what their personality is like. After this was designing the clothes and possible combinations of different fashions and coming up with new ideas, and also how changing the colour can reflect a different personality. Below are my final character pages for the Design Bible. Also included are three sheets exploring the characters movements for the main characters, along with turnaround sheets and facial expressions.











Backgrounds

Below you'll see the most of the concept and finished background work that was included in my Design Bible. I really enjoyed creating the last image which is of Reinette's bedroom, it's very showy and detailed just as a 1700's french bedroom. I particularly enjoyed colouring in the lighting and the final effects on how the light catches the bedposts and drapes creating some nice shadows.











All-in-all I have really enjoyed this project and have worked really hard on it to produce some good work that I'm proud of and hopefully a couple of pages that my tutors will be happy with. I particularly enjoyed designing the clothes for all my characters and all the possibilities of colour variations and clothing combinations that could have been, but my favourites were the designs for the main characters. The hardest part of this project was drawing the male characters, getting the right body proportions and facial construction was quite a difficult task for me to overcome; but at the end of it I feel as though I have learnt a lot on designing the male characters and also designing any character on the whole. However, even though I have put a lot of effort into this project, I feel as though I could have produced a bit more work on a couple more additional characters, and if I had another week or two I would have loved to have explored the spacey side of my chosen script further to add a bit of contrast into the Design Bible.

Overall this has been an excellent learning curve for me, and I now know about the process behind designing an animation Design Bible and what it takes to produce even a small amount of work for it, but hopefully in time, I will become progressively better and quicker at coming up with ideas of characters and backgrounds. Over the Easter break I hope to pursue the pre-production area further and apply what I've learnt from this project to my own work to produce some really good drawings and concepts.

No comments: